What can I learn?
Modern Self-Defense training is offered in any of the following topics:
- Personal Safety
- Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Self-Defense methods
- Boxing / Kickboxing (Chinese, French, American, Filipino, and other styles)
- Trapping (Chinese and Filipino methods)
- Grappling (Brazilian, Japanese, and Filipino methods)
- Edged Weapons: Defenses, Disarms, Use, or Retention
- Blunt Weapons: Defenses, Disarms, Use, or Retention
- Projectile Weapons: Defenses, Disarms, or Retention
- Tactics for Teachers, Healthcare workers, Law Enforcement and other professionals
Or if you prefer to study and progress within a particular Martial Art, you may study any of the following:
- Jeet Kune Do – not an art but a training method that teaches students to adapt to any situation
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – at all levels, white belt through black belt, with or without the gi
- Budoshin Ju-Jitsu – traditionally presented and trained, white belt through black belt
- Filipino Martial Arts – Modern Arnis, Inosanto Blend of Kali, Kalis Ilustrisimo
- Boxe Francaise Savate – French Kickboxing for sport, fitness, or self-defense
Private LessonsPersonal Self-Defense Training
Private and semi-private lessons are available throughout Connecticut. The advantage to private training is that it will be entirely customized to your needs, interests, fitness level, and schedule. All of the above topics can be explored via private lesson.
Priority scheduling will go to students who create standing appointments (the same days/times each week).
1-4 students: $120/hour. $60/half hour at our New Britain facility.
5+ students: $30/hour per student
Prices include travel within central Connecticut. Please inquire for rates involving greater travel.
Interested in Private Lessons? Contact Chris Martell via Chris@ModernSelfDefense.com to learn more and discuss your particular needs.
Group ClassesGreat Training Partners
New Britain, CT
Thanks to MSDC veterans (and BJJ Purple Belts) Scott Hoffman and Kyle Simpson, group classes are held at Adaptive Movement Parkour, 60 Peter Court, New Britain, CT. Scott & Kyle are joined by Chris Martell, Jose Pacheco, and other MSDC faculty in offering group instruction for teens & adults (including both Co-ed and Women’s Only classes).
Workshops & SeminarsBring Our Training to Your Group
Seminars and workshops can bring Modern Self-Defense instruction and expertise to any school, company, organization, or group. Topics are always custom-tailored according to the host’s wishes. Click here to see a partial list of previous workshop & seminar hosts.
Rates vary widely according to number of days, hours per day, and travel involved. Contact Chris Martell at Chris@ModernSelfDefense.com for more information about bringing Modern Self-Defense workshops to your location. And check out our Gallery for pictures of a few of our previous events!